What To Do If You Are Hurt In An Automobile Accident – By PBC Attorney John Peterson

On behalf of Peterson, Berk & Cross, S.C.

During the last 36 years, Peterson, Berk & Cross‘s personal injury attorneys have successfully concluded thousands of motor vehicle accident cases. If you are hurt in an automobile accident caused by another driver, you need to know that the “at fault” driver’s insurance company is not on your side. Its obligation is not to protect you, but to protect the interests of the driver who hurt you.

Typically, an insurance company adjuster will contact you and request information about the accident and your injuries. The adjuster may ask to take your recorded statement. If he asks if he may record his questions and your answers, your answer should be no. A recorded statement is unnecessary and is sought in order to create a document that can be used against you if your case goes to court. However, there is nothing wrong with talking to the adjuster about the accident or your injuries. There is also nothing wrong with signing an authorization allowing the insurance company to obtain your medical records which relate to the accident. You should sign it only on condition that they provide you with copies of any records and bills they receive. If the adjuster asks for authorizations for records pre-dating the accident, politely answer no. If at any point in the process you feel intimidated by the insurance company or just do not feel comfortable handling the case on your own, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Your first priority should be to deal with your injuries and their treatment. You should keep track of any earnings losses you sustain and your medical expenses. Once things settle down, you may want to make an appointment with a personal injury lawyer to discuss your case and make sure that you are fully informed of your rights and responsibilities. A consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer at Peterson, Berk & Cross is free. During your initial appointment, we will let you know what you can expect to occur as you proceed through the healing process, and will often send you on your way without signing a retainer agreement. Many individuals hurt in motor vehicle accidents never need to hire an attorney.

When you reach what doctors sometimes call the “point of maximum medical improvement,” the insurance company may make you an offer to settle your case. If you are unsure if accepting the offer is the right thing to do, you should meet with an experienced personal injury attorney who can evaluate the offer to settle and advise you on how best to proceed.

If you are reading this post because you have been hurt in an accident, the lawyers and staff at Peterson, Berk & Cross sincerely wish you the best of luck in achieving a complete and uneventful recovery. Please feel free to call Peterson, Berk & Cross if you have any questions.