Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage Can Protect You After a Hit-and-Run

On behalf of Peterson, Berk & Cross, S.C.

In Wisconsin, hit-and-run accidents are unfortunately all too common, and one in eight drivers lacks insurance. That means you could be responsible for tens of thousands of dollars in damages if an uninsured driver hits you. Your auto insurance policy’s uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage can make all the difference after a hit-and-run or accident involving an uninsured driver.

UM/UIM coverage can help pay for your damages if you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident or the at-fault driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your losses.

What Is Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage?

In the state of Wisconsin, all drivers are required to have insurance. However, there are still many drivers on the road without insurance. If you are involved in an accident with one of these uninsured drivers, you could be left with the bill. Even if the other driver is at fault, their lack of insurance could leave you responsible for the damages.

To avoid being stuck with a substantial financial burden after a motor vehicle accident, ensure you have adequate uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy. Wisconsin law requires drivers to carry UM/UIM coverage with a minimum limit of $25,000 for one person and $50,000 for two or more people for bodily injury coverage. However, those minimums will not be enough coverage for a catastrophic injury.

The Bottom Line

Don’t let a hit-and-run driver leave you without compensation: make sure you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage before hitting the road in Wisconsin. If your or a loved one is hurt in an accident, turn to an attorney who can uncover all available compensation for your injuries.