Frequently Asked Questions About Car Accidents And Injury Lawsuits

The attorneys at Peterson, Berk & Cross, S.C., have extensive experience helping people who have been injured in car accidents. Most car accident victims are curious about what actions to take after a car accident. The following is information about what to do after a car accident. We encourage you to call our Appleton, Wisconsin, law firm at 920-831-0300 to discuss your questions in more detail and to speak with us about your specific situation.

Q. What should I do at the accident scene?

A. Contact the police, even if the accident seems minor. Some injuries take time to develop, and you want to have record of the accident occurring. While a police report may be filed, it is helpful to jot down your own notes about the accident, including the date, time and location, other people involved in the accident, witnesses, vehicle descriptions and the other driver’s insurance information. It is also helpful to take photographs of any visible damage to your car or visible injuries you may have as soon as is practical after the accident.

Q. Should I go to the doctor?

A. If you are not taken to the hospital in an ambulance, the answer is usually, yes. It is a good idea to get checked out, even if you do not have any obvious injuries. Some injuries take time to develop.

Q. Is it okay to talk to the insurance companies?

A. You should notify your insurance company about the accident. However, you should refrain from speaking with the other driver’s insurance company — let us handle that communication. You are not obligated to speak with the other driver’s insurance company.

Q. How soon should I contact an attorney?

A. We advise you to speak with an attorney as soon as you can after the accident. By seeking legal help as soon as possible after the car accident, you are helping us secure access to important evidence, witness statements and other elements. Additionally, we can provide legal advice about your medical care and medical bills.

Q. How much will it cost me to talk to you?

A. We want you to feel comfortable with your choice of attorney. We offer free initial, no-pressure consultations to potential clients.

Q. Who will pay for my medical bills?

A. We usually recommend that medical bills are first submitted to your health insurance company for payment. We can talk to you more about this aspect of your claim because the answer can be complicated.

Q. I missed a lot of work because of my injuries. Can I be reimbursed for my lost wages?

A. You may be entitled for the time you missed as well as future lost wages. Keep track of the time you missed, and obtain any documentation from your employer regarding the missed time as well.

Q. Will I have to go to court?

A. We are able to settle many car accident cases without going to court. However, we prepare each case as if it will go to trial and are always prepared to argue for your maximum compensation in court.

Injured In A Car Accident? Contact Us For A Free Consultation.

We are sure you have many more questions about your accident. Contact us today to get started on your injury claim. With offices in Appleton and Green Bay, our lawyers serve clients throughout Wisconsin.

Se habla español | Free consultations