People in Wisconsin may be surprised to learn that they can develop a condition known as a subdural hematoma where blood accumulates on the surface of the brain from a relatively minor bump on the head. Sometimes, the bump is so minor that people do not remember it happening. In fact, most people never realize that they have a subdural hematoma because the brain heals itself. However, in some people, that is not the case.
A research team at Brown University is studying whether bubbles created by pressure waves are to blame for traumatic brain injuries. The results of the study could lead to better protective gear and TBI treatments for people in Wisconsin and worldwide.
According to the National Institutes of Health, there are nearly 4 million concussions that stem from sports and recreational activity. This is in addition to the untold number that occur after car crashes and falls. About 80 percent of those who suffer a concussion will recover in three weeks, but the other 20 percent may have long-term symptoms. In some cases, Wisconsin residents who have suffered a concussion don't even know that they have one.
For Wisconsin residents who have incurred a traumatic brain injury, there might be certain assumptions as what it can lead to. Research is trying to get a firmer grasp on TBIs and their symptoms. One particular study suggests that long-term inflammation is a bigger culprit than other diagnoses.
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder complicates the daily lives of many Wisconsin residents of all ages. Traumatic brain injuries subject millions of individuals to an assortment of cognitive problems yearly. A recent study has helped to affirm a potential correlation between these problems, raising the possibility that more might be done to screen adults with past brain injuries for ADHD.
According to a new study, a class of drugs commonly prescribed to treat conditions like depression, insomnia and bladder issues could make it more difficult for Wisconsin patients to recover from brain injuries. The medications, called anticholinergics, are given to up 50 percent of older patients around the country.
Wisconsin patients who experienced renal failure or kidney dysfunction may be interested to learn that some drugs used when performing an MRI may leave toxins behind. Magnetic resonance imaging is a machine that may be used to obtain images of a person's soft tissues and internal body structures. To improve the quality of the images, many doctors use an intravenous drug that makes the body structures more visible.
A study conducted by British researchers has added new fuel to concerns that head injuries might be the source of signs of premature aging in the brains of victims, a finding that may have implications for personal injury cases in Wisconsin. The researchers examined brain scans from 99 people who had suffered traumas arising from falls, assaults and motor vehicle accidents, including scans from periods of one month to 46 years following the traumatic events. The researchers noticed that signs of inflammation and impairment appeared in some victims many years after the initial cause of the injuries.
A traumatic brain injury is a serious and potentially deadly condition that can occur due to a variety of circumstances. Wisconsin residents can find themselves facing major rehabilitation, long-term care needs or potential permanent disability.
Research shows that patients in Wisconsin with traumatic brain injuries may be more likely to be re-hospitalized than people with other kinds of injuries. According to the study conducted by the Brain Injury Association of America, 20 percent of individuals with traumatic brain injuries are re-hospitalized for both elective and non-elective reasons.