Our Clients are at the heart of what we do every day. Our priority is always your best interest.
Five Steps To Prepare For Divorce
Making the decision to pursue a divorce is rarely easy, particularly when you do not know what to expect. In decades of experience helping clients through divorce in Wisconsin, the attorneys of Peterson, Berk & Cross, S.C., have seen how the right preparation can put you in the best possible position.
How Should I Prepare For Divorce?
- Consider whether divorce is right for you. The decision to end a marriage should never be made lightly. Spend some time thinking about what divorce will mean for your future and your family before taking any rash action.
- Gather your financial documents and make copies. When you meet with your divorce lawyer, these documents can help them develop an appropriate strategy for divorce, maintenance and property division.
- Understand your income and spending. Regardless of who is the primary breadwinner in your marriage, it is important to make sure you have the financial resources you need to support yourself (and possibly your children) during divorce. It is also wise to save some money for legal fees and unexpected expenses.
- Find a way to communicate privately. You will need to protect your privacy when communicating with your loved ones and your attorney. It may be appropriate to open your own post office box, create an email address that your spouse cannot access or have your own cellphone plan.
5. Most Importantly, Talk To An Attorney You Trust
If you are considering divorce or legal separation, it is never too soon to contact a knowledgeable divorce lawyer. Your attorney can help you determine if divorce is right for you, answer your questions and help you protect your interests at every step of the process.
At Peterson, Berk & Cross, S.C., we have decades of combined experience guiding clients through divorce. We offer a free 30-minute consultation so you can learn more about your options and move forward with confidence. Please contact our offices in Appleton or Green Bay at 920-831-0300 to arrange an appointment.
Se habla español | Free consultations