Relocating With A Child And Modifying Existing Custody Orders

Whether your parenting plan was negotiated by you and the other parent, or ordered by a judge, sometimes a change in circumstances can require a modification to your existing placement and custody arrangements.

We can help you pursue a modification if you need to adjust your parenting schedule because of a “substantial change in circumstances,” which could include:

  • A new job
  • Financial constraints
  • Remarriage or cohabitation with a new partner
  • Relocation
  • Change in availability to exercise placement

If your spouse is not meeting his or her obligations under a child custody or support order, we can also help you take steps to enforce its terms.

When A Parent Wants To Relocate

When a new job opportunity, relationship or other circumstance requires you to relocate, it may have significant implications for your placement arrangements. Under Wisconsin law, there are circumstances under which you may not move a certain distance without notifying the other parent. In some cases, the court may have to decide whether your children can make the move with you.

If the other parent is attempting to relocate and take your children with him or her, it is critical that you take steps to protect your parental rights. Let our attorneys help.

Contact Us For A Consultation

It is normal for former partners to have disagreements about child custody, placement, parenting time and relocation. It is important that you seek experienced legal counsel to help you through these disputes. A knowledgeable family law attorney can help you protect your rights in a legal and reasonable manner.

Please contact us online or call 920-831-0300 to speak with a lawyer and arrange an appointment at our offices in Appleton or Green Bay.

Se habla español